Best Practices Landscapers Follow To Protect Our Earth
All businesses (as well as individuals) have a daily impact on the world around them in some way. Those of us who are aware of our impact, take steps to reduce any negative impact on the environment as best we can. In the world of landscaping, sustainability is even more top of mind.
Sustainable landscaping practices not only reduce our carbon footprint but also have a direct impact on the local environment around us.
That’s why Nanak’s Landscaping has developed a well thought-out and researched plan to both contribute positively to the environment as well as reduce any negative impact.
Overview of Nanak’s Sustainable Landscaping Manifesto:
Sustainable Landscaping starts with good design. Good landscaping design is subjective and hinges upon the climate, space limitations and goals, of course. An experienced landscaping team will also develop a plan that works hand in hand with sustainability objectives that benefit the world around your business.
- Plant selection matters.It’s always best practices to choose native and adapted plant species. They will be resilient in their natural environment which will improve aesthetics but even more important these native plants will be more resistant to most diseases and require less watering. Water usage is especially important in times of drought or water shortage, but water conservation should be a top of mind consideration even outside of those periods.
- Plant grouping impacts water requirements. Of course, aesthetics are a key objective for plant grouping, but proper placement will allow plants to thrive again with more efficient
useof the precious resource – water.
Best practices are only effective with a solid plan for maintenance. Sustainable landscaping should be baked into the long-term maintenance plan as well.
- Arbor care with a purpose wins the game
. Strategicpruning can improve the tree’s health, reduce the risk of failure, control growth, and enhance fruiting, in addition to keeping up good appearances. Proper timing is essential, making sure to avoid waiting until the point of overgrowth and understanding the unique needs of the unique tree.
- Fertilizing with a purpose.Fertilizing is not just about the right chemicals, must be mindful of application. Sustainable landscaping will use testing mechanisms to, first, determine that fertilization is necessary then follow the best practices and regulations in place to ensure the environment is protected.
- Mowing best practices for the Florida lawn. Mowing, done the right way, increases turf density, root health as well as reducing the appearance of weeds. When the density of the turf is optimal, it will stymie stormwater runoff. Maintaining a healthy root system ensures that water and nutrients are absorbed and not wasted. The result is fewer turf weeds which translates into less herbicides.
Special Consideration for Florida’s Water In Florida, and most everywhere, special care must be given to the water table. The protection of water resources is enhanced through sustainable landscaping practices that couple technology with regulation to protect water resources where pesticides and nutrients enter groundwater and surface water. In fact, the state government of Florida is currently pushing for tighter
Nanak’s Landscaping is South Florida’s largest independent full-service grounds maintenance company serving Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach. Nanak’s Landscaping is dedicated to providing the highest quality lawn and landscape services in South Florida with a focus on commercial properties and residential communities, while at the same time ensuring that sustainable landscaping practices are also our priority.
Contact ustoday to review your service needs.
The Latest Fungus Among Us
University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences Extension recently issued a white paper identifying the latest fungus among us that are causing concern.
South Florida summers are hot and your plants know it. Nanak’s Landscaping team shares this checklist on how to keep your plants and landscape healthy and beautiful. read more →